Braid Hills Golf Course
Braid Hills is a historic gem of a golf course that was a testing ground for iconic golfing figures such as James Braid and Tommy Armour.
With outstanding views to the Pentland Hills and the panorama across Edinburgh’s skyline to the Firth of Forth, the natural contours and native gorse bushes shape the parkland course and will give golfers of all abilities a memorable round - and provide a challenge for the more experienced.
At less than 6,000 yards, the test is not about the length but about hitting shots from one hilly crag to the next. The layout is one of the most vertically challenging in Edinburgh. There are only a few bunkers and the rough is relatively light but the slope and proliferation of gorse can make scoring difficult.
As one of the oldest and best loved public courses in Scotland, the dramatic setting provides a wonderful feeling of space and isolation on what can at times be a busy course, especially at weekends.
Booking Terms and Conditions
- Tee time bookings can be made up to 14 days in advance.
- If golf is included in your membership you can book online, via the app, in person or on the phone.
- If golf is not included in your membership but you have a golf loyalty card or an Edinburgh Leisure Discount Card, you can still book online, via the app, in person or on the phone. If you’re booking online or via the golf app you must pay at the time of booking. If you are booking in person or by phone your booking must be paid prior to teeing off.
- If you do not have an Edinburgh Leisure card you can book in person or over the phone and payment must be made at time of booking.
- You can only book one tee time online or via the app in any 24-hour period. If you want to book more tee times please phone your preferred course.
- When you arrive, please ensure you check in with the starter to confirm your booking at least 10 minutes prior to the tee time.
Group Advance Bookings
- If you would like to make a group booking, please contact us at email@example.com and we will contact you to discuss your booking.
- If you need to cancel your booking, please do so at least 3 hours before your tee time to allow other customers the opportunity to book.
- If golf is included in your membership you can cancel your booking online, via the app, in person or on the phone.
- If you have paid for your game in advance and cancel with more than 3 hours notice by phone the starter will either move your booking or refund you. If you have paid for your game and give less than 3 hours notice you will not be entitled to a refund and we won’t move your booking.
- We will close the course for bad weather and we’ll update our website with these closures. If the course is closed, we will cancel your booking. If you have already paid we will contact you to offer to either move your booking or refund your payment.
- 5865 yards
- Par 71
- SSS 68
To avoid using winter greens the Braids and Wee Braids courses are combined from December to March to make a combined 18-hole course.
- Changing rooms, toilets and lockers
- Golf Shop offering golf accessories, hot /cold drinks and confectionery
- Clubs and trolley hire
- Free car parking
- Affiliated Clubs: Edinburgh Thistle, Edinburgh Western, Harrison, Comiston Ladies and Braids United
Golf Loyalty Card
If you enjoy our stunning courses on a pay and play basis then we've got the perfect product for you! We have now launched a golf loyalty card which means that you can now start collecting points for every round of golf you play with us. These points can be redeemed for free rounds at our golf courses.
The card is free to pick up and can be applied for online or picked up at the starters office. To apply online, please choose the Loyalty Card option below. Terms and conditions apply.
Golf Loyalty Card Terms and Conditions
- 8 points will be awarded for every £1 spent for example a £26.50 18 hole round of golf, 208 points will be rewarded. 1 point equates to £0.01 redemption value.
- Points can only be redeemed when there are enough to pay for a full round of golf. Points cannot be used to part pay for a round of golf.
- Points can only be redeemed for tee time bookings, not redeemable on retail products/refreshments.
- Card must be swiped at starters office prior to playing round in order to earn points.
- Loyalty card only available to pay and play (casual) golf customers. Not available to golf members or discount card holders.
Membership available at Braid Hills Golf Course
Golf Season Tickets
With our Golf Membership you have unlimited access to six quality courses at locations throughout Edinburgh, each with its own unique charms and challenges and all within a short drive of the city centre. Choose between Braid Hills, Carrick Knowe, Craigentinny, Portobello, Wee Braids and Silverknowes Golf Courses. You can also join any of the nine affiliated golf clubs, providing you the social and competition benefits that membership brings. Conditions apply - speak to the starter at your local course for details.
Pay As You Go Options available at Braid Hills Golf Course
The Discount Card gives up to a 25% reduction (or more) on many pay-and-play activities, such as swimming, gym, fitness classes, climbing and badminton courts. It also lets you book classes or courts 8 days in advance.
Membership available at Braid Hills Golf Course
For those golfers who pay and play, you can now pick up a golf loyalty card which allows you to collect points each round you play throughout the year. These points can then be converted to free rounds, making it even easier to take advantage of our six stunning courses. Please note the loyalty card does not apply to golf season tickets. Please ask your golf starter for more information, terms and conditions apply.
Up to £0.00 Per Month
Opening Hours and Timetables
Venue Opening Hours
|Monday||07:00 - 19:45|
|Tuesday||07:00 - 19:45|
|Wednesday||07:00 - 19:45|
|Thursday||07:00 - 19:45|
|Friday||07:00 - 19:45|
|Saturday||06:45 - 19:30|
|Sunday||06:45 - 19:30|
Opening hours for specific activities may differ from venue opening.
Venue Price List
|Non Card Holder||Discount Card Holder||Concessionary Discount Card Holder||Junior/Disability Discount Card Holder|
|18 holes (weekday)||£25.30||£19.00||£15.20||£6.20|
|18 Holes (weekend)||£26.50||£19.90||£15.90||£9.00|
|9 holes (weekday)||£14.30||£10.70||£8.60||£5.20|
|9 Holes (weekend)||£15.50||£11.60||£9.30||£5.80|
The golf course occupies much of the Braid Hills, the southern most of the seven hills on which Edinburgh is traditionally said to be built.
- Braid Hills Golf Course, 27 Braid Hills Approach, Edinburgh, EH10 6JY
- 0131 447 6666
- By Bus: Services by Lothian Buses Comiston Road buses 11, 15, N11
The historic Braid Hills Golf Course recently marked 125 years. Designed by three times Open champion Bob Ferguson and Peter McEwan, a 19th century clubmaker from Musselburgh it officially opened in 1889. The following year, to show its support for the new course, the Edinburgh Evening Standard launched its own golfing competition to take place on the Braids and the Dispatch Trophy was born which is still being contested for today.
Famous golfers of the time took to the Braids to perfect their swings and putting. James Braid, who won the British Open five times, would practice there regularly, while Tommy Armour, who went on to win the US Open, the British Open and the PGA Championship, honed his skills on the Braids while he was convalescing after the First World War.