Healthy Active Minds
It is estimated that 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem at some point in their life. Mental health affects us all with the most commonly experienced mental health problem being depression. Healthy Active Minds is a physical activity referral project for inactive adults aged 18 years and over with mild to moderate depression, stress, anxiety or low mood. This project aims to introduce individuals with mild to moderate depression, stress or anxiety to regular physical activity, to accompany or act as an alternative form of treatment.
The project offers adults (referred by a GP or mental health professional) the following:
- Specialist support on lifestyle changes and motivational support
- Advice to help create a unique physical activity plan, which includes a number of options including swimming,walking, yoga and gym
- Participants’ progress will be reviewed at interval stages throughout their journey
- Participants will be encouraged to remain active once they have completed the programme
Physical activity can benefit mental health & well being in a variety of ways;
- Raising confidence, improving self-esteem and gaining control
- Improving thinking skills
- Improving self worth and personal control by mastering an activity
- Distracting from more stressful parts of life
- Giving a sense of belonging, having fun and being active as a group
Exercise decreases the stress hormones such as cortisol and increases endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s natural feel good chemicals, and when they are released through exercise, your mood is boosted naturally. As well endorphins, exercise also releases adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. These chemicals work together to make you feel good.
If you are a GP or mental health professional making a referral please complete a referral form available from the development officer and return to the address below.
Healthy Active Minds, Edinburgh Leisure, Vantage Point, 3 Cultins Road, Edinburgh EH11 4DF.
For more information about the programme please contact: Healthy Active Minds on 0131 458 2260 or email email@example.com