Healthy Active Minds - Help and Support for Mental Health
About Healthy Active Minds
Healthy Active Minds is a physical activity referral programme for inactive adults aged 18 years and over living with mild to moderate depression, stress, anxiety or low mood. 1 in 4 people experience a mental health problem at some point in their life and being active can improve your mental health and wellbeing in the following ways:
- Raising confidence, improving self-esteem and gaining control
- Improving thinking skills
- Improving self worth and personal control by mastering an activity
- Distracting from more stressful parts of life
- Giving a sense of belonging, having fun and being active as a group
What can I expect?
Healthy Active Minds is a 12-week programme designed to introduce you support you to take part in regular physical activity. Once referred to Healthy Active Minds one of our Active Communities instructors will contact you to arrange an initial chat. This will help identify your goals and individual needs. Over the 12-weeks you will be given
- guidance to create a personalised physical activity plan, which offers various options including swimming, walking, yoga, and gym workouts.
- the opportunity to participate in Healthy Active Minds classes such as boxing, racquet sports, and gym sessions
- support to make lifestyle changes and stay motivated.
- progress reviews to see how you are getting on
How much does it cost?
During the 12 weeks you will also be give an Edinburgh Leisure card which will give free you access to our gyms, swimming pools, and fitness classes. This will be followed by an additional 3 months of subsidised access to these facilities.
How can I access it?
If you think Healthy Active Minds could help you, please speak to your GP or Mental Health Professional who can make a referral on your behalf.
What happens after the programme?
At the end of your 12-week programme your instructor will discuss a range of options to help you continue to be physically active.
For more information about Healthy Active Minds, please contact our Active Communities team on 0131 458 2260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org