We're back in action!
We’re so happy to be back. The last few months have been hard for us all, but we’re now in a place where we can start delivering Get Going classes at two of our venues. Things might be a little different, but our friendly team of instructors are here to welcome you back and help you stay active with us in a safe, but most of all enjoyable, environment.
About Get Going
Worried about your child's weight? Want to help them lead a healthy, happy, active life? Then let's Get Going - a family healthy lifestyle programme funded by NHS Lothian.
Get Going offers support to help children (aged 5 to 11 years) and young people (12 to 17 years) to get active, eat well and achieve a healthier weight which will help to reduce the risk of diseases like coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis and some cancers in later life.
The emphasis is on fun and feeling good. It’s about getting active as a family and working together to make small lifestyle changes. Parents will have the chance to share ideas with support and guidance from a Child Healthy Lifestyle coach while children gain from the social benefits that come from making friends and participating in fun active games.
The free sessions last between 60 to 90 minutes and take place in Edinburgh Leisure or community venues, once a week over nine weeks. After the nine weeks, families receive ongoing support from our team with a follow up meeting after three and six months to review progress and to help keep participants on track for a healthier life. You can contact us for more information or ask a health professional to put you forward for this programme.
For further details on taking part please contact our Active Communities team on 0131 458 2260 or email email@example.com.
Referrals can be made by a health professional or you can click on the self-referral button below or visit NHS Get Going to refer your child. You will also find a handy healthy weight calculator and tips for starting or maintaining a healthy lifestyle on the NHS Get Going page.
You may also be interested in Get Moving programme, our adult weight management funded by NHS Lothian. It offers support to help adults (aged 18+) with a BMI > 25 to get active, eat well and achieve a healthier weight.
We support you to Get Going
All participants receive a Get Active Pass giving subsidised access to physical activities.
The pass can be used 7 days a week to help increase your family's physical activity levels.
Tips for Achieving a Healthy WeightAdults can encourage children to have a healthy lifestyle by setting a good example themselves.
- Take time to sit down and enjoy meals without distractions like the TV or digital devices.
- Encourage children to participate in at least an hour of physical activity per day – this can be built up in 10 minute chunks.
- A healthy lifestyle is all about balance - there’s lots of ideas and tips for healthy eating at www.eatwell.gov.uk.
- Involve children in decisions about food and physical activity. Better still, get them involved in cooking.
- Think about portion sizes – children need smaller amounts of food than adults – try using smaller plates.
You can also visit the NHS Get Going for self referral forms, a handy healthy weight calculator and top tips for starting or maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Keeping each other safe – activity guidelines
Please don’t visit if you or anyone in your household, are displaying any symptoms of Covid-19. Click here to see the symptoms to look out for.
We ask that you arrive no earlier than 5 minutes prior to your booked session. If there is a moving queue outside the venue, please join the queue and keep a safe physical distance whilst entering the building.
Face coverings have been made mandatory and must be worn when in indoor communal areas (e.g. when you enter a venue). Customers do not have to wear them when taking part in their activity.
How you can help us during your class:
- Please be aware of any floor markings, which have been measured out and follow the guidance of one customer in each floor space.
- Please sanitise/wash your hands before, during, and after your class.
- Please maintain a physical distance between yourself and others at all times.
- When your class is over, please leave the room promptly to allow us to clean and prepare for the next class/customers.
- Please keep to physical distancing guidance as you leave the room.