The main changes you will notice
- Climbing sessions are pre-book only (via the EL App or website)
- Our climbing sessions will run 10:00 to 15:30 and 16:00 to 21:00 (Mon to Fri), and 09:00 to 12:30 and 13:00 to 17:00 (Sat & Sun)
- There are additional hand sanitisers and cleaning stations throughout the venue
- Coaching sessions will not be running
- Each customer in the arena will need a booking.
- The bouldering room will not be open at this time
- Some lines will be closed to allow for a safe physical distance between climbers on the walls.
How you can help us during your session
- All customers must always maintain to physical distance rules.
- Please be considerate of other climbers and your distance from each other both on and off the walls/boulders.
- Please sanitise/wash your hands before, during, and after your climbing session.
- Please be aware of any floor markings or other marking on seating/matting and follow any safety guidance in place.
- Please use toilets located in the arena.
- Please be aware of your distance from other customers, whilst climbing, belaying, and moving around the arena.
- Please be mindful of your time on routes during busy periods and avoid spending extended periods on a single route.
- Please keep your bags and equipment to the side and out of the way of other customers.
- We understand that it has been a long time since you may have seen climbing friends but please be mindful of your distance and avoid gathering in large groups in the arena or on the bouldering matting.
You can leave at any point before the end of the scheduled session time. When your session is over this will be announced over the tannoy system. Please exit the arena promptly and keep to physical distancing as you leave.
1. Booking & payment
In order to manage numbers and flow at EICA Ratho, our climbing sessions will be pre-book only via our App or Website. This means you won’t be able to turn up to a session without a booking.
Experienced climbers can sign in up to 2 guests. Guest climbers can make their booking on arrival at Edinburgh International Climbing Arena.
If you are belaying and not climbing, you can book at reception.
There is no access for spectators
Climbing sessions will run:
Mon – Fri 10:00 - 15:30 and 16:00 - 21:00
Sat & Sun 09:00 - 12:30 and 13:00 - 17:00
Climbing sessions can be booked from 9pm 8 days in advance for members and 7 days in advance for non-members. We are not limiting how many sessions you can book per day.
To book a session you will need an Edinburgh Leisure account (You will already have an account if you are an EL member or hold discount or loyalty card).
- If you do not have an account with us you can create one here to allow you to make a booking online or via our app.
- If you are not a member paying via Direct Debit, you will need to pre-pay for your activity.
If you are unable to attend your booked session please cancel more than 3 hours before the beginning of your session to avoid a £3 late cancel or no show charge. As arena capacity is reduced it is important that if you are unable to attend that you cancel your booking.
You can find full booking and cancellation terms and conditions here.
2. Before you visit
Before your visit there’s some important things that will be different. It’s important to remember:
- Please arrive ready to climb as changing facilities won’t be available
- Please bring a prefilled water bottle– this can be refilled at a water fountain.
- Equipment can be hired on arrival at Edinburgh International Climbing Arena
- You can arrive at any point during your session and can stay until the end of the session time if you like.
- A reduced number of toilets will be available for customer use.
- Take the time to refresh basic climbing knowledge such as belaying or tying in if you haven’t been climbing for a while.
Please don’t visit if you or anyone in your household, are displaying any symptoms of Covid-19. Click here to see the symptoms to look out for.
Face coverings have been made mandatory and must be worn when in indoor communal areas (e.g. when you enter a venue). Customers do not have to wear them when taking part in their activity.
3. Arriving at EICA Ratho
We ask that you arrive no earlier than 5 minutes prior to your booked session. If there is a moving queue outside the venue, please join the queue and keep a safe physical distance whilst entering the building.
Customers with Access Cards/Fobs
Once in the building, please make your way directly to the arena, following any physical distancing or one way systems in place.
At the arena gates, scan your card and pass through the gates. Please follow any one-way systems that are in place.
Customers without Access Cards/Fobs
If you do not have an access card or fob you will need to collect one from our reception on your first visit.
Once in the building please follow the one-way system in place to the reception desk. Please stand on the physical distancing markers on the floor until you can safely move forward. When you have collected you card please make your way to the arena, following any physical distancing or one way systems in place.
Please do not visit reception unless are collecting an access card/fob. If you need to register as a new climber please use the tablet in the reception area.
4. After your session
Once you have finished your session, please leave the building. We love to see you, but we have arranged our bookings to carefully manage the number of people in our building at any one time.
If you have booked two sessions back to back you will need to leave the arena in between sessions. There will be a gap in between sessions to allow for cleaning. During this time please wait in the designated area within the atrium until your next session begins. Please be aware of any floor markings which have been measured to follow physical distancing guidance
Thank you for playing your part in keeping everyone safe.
Download our app
Why not download our FREE mobile app. Booking fitness classes, courts and golf tee times has never been faster! Available now for Apple and Android devices.